It is not uncommon to have periods of feeling down but depression will last at least two weeks without any relief in symptoms. Depression is a common mental health condition and is treatable.
Causes of depression may include:
- Brain chemistry
- Stressful life events
- Death or loss of a loved one
- Traumatic experience
- Medical condition
- Substance use
Symptoms of depression may include:
- Not enjoying things that used to bring you pleasure
- Eating habits change – eating too much or too little
- Trouble with sleep – sleeping too little or sleeping too much
- Thoughts of self-harm
- Difficulty concentrating
- Struggle making decision
- Experiencing physical symptoms such as headaches, stomach issues, fatigue, and weight loss of weight gain.