Most adults will experience at least one trauma in their lifetime, not all traumatic experiences will lead to developing Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Feeling upset, or a bit anxious with memories of these events is expected but most adults begin to feel better with less upset feelings after a few weeks after the event. With trauma that develops into PTSD the symptoms will last longer than a month and begin to create problems in your life.
Signs and Symptoms of PTSD may include:
- Reliving the event over and over in what is called “flashbacks.”
- avoiding reminders of the traumatic event
- may feel numb.
- loose pleasure in things you previously enjoyed.
- Panic attacks – sudden onset of anxiety that may hold you frozen in time.
- Difficulty concentrating
- There may be parts of the traumatic even that you forget.
- Your daily life is disrupted.
Types of traumas may include:
- Car accidents
- Violent crimes
- Witnessing violence
- Natural disasters
- Sexual assault
- Domestic violence
- Emotional, verbal, and physical abuse